Saturday, June 6, 2009

Thankfulness...

The other day I read a book. In this book one of the characters
was talking about something that his grandfather had taught him.
His grandfather had learned it from an old man, and the old man
had learned it from his mother. The thing was called
"The Golden List" and basically, the golden list is, before you get out

of bed in the morning think of 10 things you're thankful for.

Well, I have SO many things to be thankful for. In fact if I just limited
my list to just people that I am thankful for, my list would be so long
that it'd be nearly endless! (Ain't that awesome!!?)

So tonight, as I sit quietly in a corner on "my" couch :) I was just kind of
thinking about the things I am thankful for, not necessarily making a
golden list (because I already got out of bed this morning) :P I realized one
of the things on top of my list was Taffie!

I had always wanted a dog. I got a rabbit instead. I REALLY wanted a dog,
and well, was given a fish. And even though cats are nice, and I loved the
cats that we had while I was little, I'm just not overly fond of cats.
I wanted a dog. Prayed for one, picked out names, had imaginary dogs,
begged my parents for one, ect...
Nope. We weren't having a dog. "Our yard was to small, no fence,
'Mommy' doesn't like animals in the house, and all that."

In 2004, while at a homeschool convention, one of the speakers started
talking about a few things all kids "need." On his list was 'a dog'. Whether
he was joking or not I don't know, for that matter I don't even know
what the speaker's name was, but THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK
YOU whoever you are! Because as mom left that session, she inwardly said

something along the lines of "But God, I REALLY DON'T want a dog!!!"
Over the next year, Mom's heart got softened to the point of,
"well IF we ever do get a dog, at least let me like the thing!"

And well, Mom was the first one to fall for Taffie. And about a month later
we loaded her up and brought her home! :D

In the Bible it says, "every good and perfect thing comes from God..." And
although that may be taken a bit out of context, Taffie is definitely a good
gift given to me by God!

Sorry for my ramblings.
All that to say, I AM SO THANKFUL for this wonderful gift!

No comments: